There are few things that seem as summer-y and uplifting as the scent of fresh oranges, if you ask me. But then again, orange is also a great base for autumn-y blends, mixed with cedarwood, or patchouli, or very Christmas-y with cinnamon or ginger. In fact, I think orange is an amazingly versatile oil which is why I own four different variations and am still trying to detect the subtle differences!
Use for energy and a mood lift, to combat anxiety, stress and depression.
It also blends well with woody and spicy oils, such as black pepper, cedarwood, cinnamon, frankincense, ginger, vetiver, for a warming and comforting autumny feel.
Perhaps more surprisingly, ‘bright and cheery’ orange can also blend well with soothing lavender for an uplifting yet relaxing blend, and also (more shock!) peppermint and/or spearmint for a more refreshing mood.
Orange is one of my staples, so I’ve probably used it with just about everything – in fact, when I find a scent or blend isn’t quite ‘me’, I’m likely to throw in some orange to sweeten it up.
Some of my favourite blends include:
- equal quantities of orange and lavender – that soothing relax with a perky uplift
- 2 orange, 2 frankincense, 1 geranium
- 3 orange, 2 frankincense, 2 cinnamon – very autumny
- 2 orange, 2 lime, 2 grapefruit, 2 spearmint – the ‘mojito’!
- and combo of the citruses is also good especially as a ‘wake up and get going’ e.g. orange, lime and grapefruit, with the orange bringing a sweetness to the sharper citruses.