I always think of bergamot (which I absolutely refuse to pronounce with that last ‘t’ – urgh! As well say ‘buffit’ instead of ‘boufay’! ;)) as ‘my’ essential oil, as it was possibly the first one I ever tried – or rather, had used on me, blended with black pepper for a muscle-soothing, calming and uplifting massage.
Bergamot is part of the citrus family, alongside the more obvious orange, lemon, and lime, etc. I do seem to be keen on the citrus oils – I like the zing and uplifting nature of them! I find bergamot a bit less sharp than the others, with a sweeter, softer scent that I really like.
Bergamot is used as a mood enhancer, lowering anxiety and stress, and confidence booster, and also said to help with headaches and muscle tension.
It blends well with the other citrus oils, and various online sources also suggest trying cedarwood, clary sage, frankincense, geranium, jasmine, neroli, lavender, rosewood, sandalwood, and ylang ylang.
- bergamot and black pepper
- 2 drops bergamot, 2 drops grapefruit, 1 drop neroli – lovely! From blend 4 on this list of suggested ‘happy’ blends
- bergamot, lemon, orange – classic mood-lifting citruses
- 5 drops bergamot, 3 drops grapefruit, 2 drops peppermint – ‘wake up’, and it really does! Lovely balance of sweet and sharp
- 2 bergamot, 2 lavender, 1 lemon – a nice soothing mood-lift
Want to try:
- bergamot, frankincense, lavender in equal amounts (from here)